Blood Ordering Schedule, Obstetrics
exp date isn't null, but text field is
- 84% of blood cross matched for obstetric patients is currently returned unused to Blood Bank
- Fully cross matched blood can be available for collection from Blood Bank in 45 minutes from receipt of request – as long as the laboratory have a valid sample (<72 hrs old)
- Group specific blood can be available for collection from Blood Bank in 20 minutes from receipt of request – as long as the laboratory have a valid sample (<72 hrs old)
- There are 3 units of O Negative blood in the labour ward fridge
- The GGC Major Haemorrhage protocol will cross match up to 6 units of packed red cells if requested – please specify requirements depending on clinical case
- Indication must ALWAYS be specified on request to provide laboratory with accurate clinical detail
- Blood loss should be estimated by weighing swabs, drapes etc.
- Odd numbers as well as even numbers can be requested and given
- It is rare for obstetric patients to require more than 2 units of blood , even with PPH
- Dereserving cross matched blood promptly when clinically appropriate reduces waste
NOTE: this guideline is hosted on the NHSGGC Obstetrics & Gynaecology Handbook website. Clicking on the link below will open the guideline in a new window.
Use the button below to access this resource item.Access this resource