Incidental Surgery During Pregnancy, Obstetrics
exp date isn't null, but text field is
- All females of child bearing age should have their pregnancy status clarified on admission to hospital.
- Gestation should be established from a valid EDD:
- Request maternity notes via Maternity Hospital Coordinator
- If gestation cannot be established from booking scan in notes, discuss with Obstetrics StR regarding further US scan
- The patient should have a named consultant obstetrician
- Where gestation is > 20+0 weeks, Surgery should be performed in a centre with obstetric and neonatal services on site wherever feasible.
- Multi-disciplinary planning is essential
- In the rare situation that surgery cannot be performed in a centre with on-site obstetric and neonatal services, the consultant Obstetrician from the patient’s maternity unit should be contacted at the earliest opportunity. Where possible, an appropriate team will be deployed dependent on the gestational age of the fetus.
NOTE: this guideline is hosted on the NHSGGC Obstetrics & Gynaecology Handbook website. Clicking on the link below will open the guideline in a new window.
Use the button below to access this resource item.Access this resource